Theatre Freaking

The Life and Times Of A Theatre Freak in Chicago

Friday, May 04, 2007

Eye Opening


Eye Opening
Originally uploaded by MariGerard.
So, a little insight into the way the CTA works...somedays the CTA Fairies smile on you and every bus and train are there and waiting when you get to the bus stop. Other days, they like to piss in your wheaties, and you cant catch a bus with a bucket full of nails scattered across the street. It is always A or B, nothing else.

So yesturday, I get to the corner and I can see the #36 about 3 blocks away. Yay! So I am fumbling to get my ipod all set and on, and this guy walks up. He is boy band cute. Nice clothes, nice hair, but probably not any older than like 22 or 23. the conversation goes like this:
"Excuse me?" he says
"Yes?"
"I couldnt help but notice you are real pretty. Would you mind if I called you sometime?" he says
"Oh, thanks...Im flattered, but I dont think my boyfriend would apreciate that" I lie. (after all he's like 23 at the most)
"Thats cool. I figured you probably had a man, but it cant hurt to ask right?" he smiles
"Have a good Day!" I say and he walks away.

Then the bus comes. I get on. I am sitting un my usual sideways seat. (to avoid bus sickness) and there is this woman whom I have seen on the bus before. She is mentally ill. Scitzophrenic I think, because she talks to herself, and then has these huge out bursts at people on the bus whom she thinks she has been having conversations with. Most people just ignore her when she starts yelling, but today I think how lucky I am that she is 4 seats away from me and quiet as a mouse.

I speak to soon. After about 5 min a blonde girl gets up and walks tward the door of the bus. She bumps into the crazy lady cause the lady is a Large woman and is sticking out into the isle a little bit.
The exchange goes like this:
"Dont you bump into me! You skinny, hussy!How dare you!" she yells.
The girl looks at her while still exiting the bus. " I didnt mean to, you are sticking out in the isle. I am sorry."
"YOu are not! You bumped into me on purpose. You bumped into me and you stepped on my foot with your stupid high heel shoe" She yells. (the girl has now gotten off the bus and I saw the exchange and the girl did not step on her foot) The woman continues yelling " She is a hussy! And I knew she was going to be doing that to me, because I had been sitting here talking to her. I told her she was a hussy and she should be at work" (she hadnt said a thing to the girl in reality) "and she told me to shut up! And I told her she better not talk to me like that or I will punch you in the face! Hussy! And then she got up and crushed my foot with her stupid high heel shoes!"
This rant continues like this till I get off the bus 20 min later.

Now I am walking 4 blocks to work. It is sunny, and I am on time. I see a bunny...it is cute. I reflect on the crazy ride I just had...and hope that the afternoons trip home is less eventfull......it is, but I wait 35 min for the bus....meh, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

More tales from the city another time.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    Ha ha. I've been there too many times. San Francisco is the worst for crazies on public transport. I'm convinced MUNI stands for "Mobile Unit: Nutcase Institution."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home