Theatre Freaking

The Life and Times Of A Theatre Freak in Chicago

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Why you should NEVER travel on Friday the 13th.

Sooooo- My sister Beth Graduated from college this weekend from William and Mary. I was soposed to fly into Norfolk on Friday night- crash with some high school buddies I haven't seen in forever then get a ride to Williamsburg for the grad stuff begining at 3pm on Saturday...4:00pm Friday the 13th: I arrive at O'Hare and check into my flight gate to discover my flight will now be leaving two hours late, thus causing me to miss my connection to Norfolk. They tell me I can stay in chicago and go the next day- but I won't get in till 5pm-(too late for the big grad dinner in Williamsburg that night) or I can go to DC and wing it on my own from there. I chose the latter and ended up at Dulles airport at 10:00pm. My aunt and cousin come from Annapolis to get me and by 11:30pm I am in Annapolis sippin guiness and eating fresh crabs at my uncles house on the Severn river...not too bad, but my high school chums in Va bch that were throwing me a party are totally bummed out. Sat the 14th: The LONGEST DAY OF MY LIFE. To make a long story short, it was one 4 hour van ride to Williamsburg, one long mass I was late for, and one wierd colonial dinner in an actual authentic Tavern where I drank WAY TO MUCH ALE. Saturday the 14th 9:45pm: The Cousins- all 6 of us go out drinkin with my sister who is finally legal. We are in a college bar, a loud smokey bar. I get more beer dumped on me by drunk girls than I actually drink. And we killed 4 pitchers of Heffenvisen (or something like that-it was good). Smelling like a brewery we return to the hotel at 2 am. Sunday May 15th: 9:00am my mom makes me get up to sit through commencement...3 hours of it. Last years keynote speaker- JON STEWART...could I be that lucky this year? HELL NO. I am pinching myself to stay awake. In the middle- my mom tells me that my plans to see my oldest friend Kevin (my buddy since 5th grade) on Monday night before flying out on Tuesday are completely thwarted-due to ride logistics... so second party planned for me canceled. Finally- now (Sunday 11:27pm) I am in Fredricksburg VA- sippin Yeungling and reflecting on my weekend of circumstances out of my controll. If her grad had been next weekend, I am sure all would have run like clockwork....I miss Chicago. But it was good to see the fam. and like all good family gatherings, some chaos must insue..and insue it has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home